Tuesday 2 October 2012

Business cards// Laser cutting

Yesterday I managed to get my piece of promotional material done, I laser cut my feather illustrations into a scrap piece of wood to try and communicate my sustainable design ethic.



This morning I went straight back to the laser cutter and set out to produce some business cards. The design is an ambigram of my name, which is an extension of a first year project.





I came across a few problems when laser cutting, and had to do a lot of tests. Unfortunately their was no one around to help and I couldn't get the right settings to cut through the wood without burning it. So for now I have etched in the design and cut them out with a scalpel. I had to adjust the point size of the type, which I think has ruined the layout, but they will do for tomorrows session.









Finally, I sanded them down to give them a nice finish and avoid splinters! Not too shabby... the design needs some work though. My plan is to have the ambigram etched into one side and my details screen printed on the back to make them more legible. This mix of media will also reflect my practice.


1 comment: