Friday 19 October 2012

Tengu Kami

I have been researching into the Japanese Shinto faith to inform my designs for the Japan Matsuri brief. My research started off quite broad, but I managed to narrow it down and I have chosen five main Kami to start illustrating.

I have started off with Karasu Tengu, who is a crow like monster, that has both human and avian characteristics. I began by illustrating by hand and then experimenting with different textures and paintbrushes digitally.






I'm not sure it's turning out how I originally intended and it needs a lot more work. I think I need to stick more to the traditional Japanese style rather than the modern. Also, I've got it into my head that this depiction of the Tengu looks like a Pokemon (and the name sounds like one too). So I'm going to try some different approaches and look at more traditional Japanese art for influence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment