Monday 23 April 2012

Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD205                    


 Module Title
IMAGE


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Sadie Thompson


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have explored different forms of creating image in context, including drawing both by hand and digitally, photography and different printing techniques. I feel that my illustration techniques in particular have improved. I have always had a talent for drawing by hand, but so far on this course I feel that I have neglected this skill. I feel that this module has given me a chance to improve on my illustration, and is now something that I am going to use more in my graphic design work from now on. I have also used screen printing during the book works brief, which is something that I am highly interested in and am keen to improve on along with other traditional printing techniques. 

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

For the 2D to 3D to 2D brief I had the opportunity to use photography. This is something that I am not too interested in developing, as I am not a very skilled photographer. However this brief gave me the opportunity to experiment with photography more and opened my eyes to various ways of image making, and using the appropriate technique and media for the brief in hand. I think that my screen printing skills have come along particularly well and I am now able to use this printing technique at ease and a fast pace. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

As I previously expressed, I am pleased with my illustration through out this module and feel that it has progressed. This module has not only given me the opportunity to develop my drawing skills, but has informed me how to use illustration in context to my graphic design work, giving it more relevance. I intend to carry on progressing my illustration, whether it be within the course and the briefs set, or as my own personal practice.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I feel that a lot of the work I produced was rushed and not finished to the level that I originally intended. This was partly due to having to juggle a lot of other work alongside this module. Getting through this term has taught me to manage my time more effectively and to meet deadlines no matter what the work load is.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


1.    Do more contextual research to influence my style.
2.   Make more use of the session time provided.
3.    Do more initial ideas, rather than just going with the first idea I can come up with.
4.    Blog all of my rationales as I go.
5.    Add to my sketchbook as I go, rather than having to piece it together at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment